Powered By Blogger

Sunday, June 26, 2011

C4T #1

Thumann Resources by Lisa Thumann

In the first blog, Utilizing Appointment Slots in Google Calendar, Ms Thumann had just returned from Google Days, a technology conference where ideas are shared and Google unveils their latest tools. She returned home excited about the capabilities and applications of Google Calendar. She was most excited about being able to operate with several calendars within a calendar, to help her keep track of lab usage and appointments. She gave step by step instructions on how to use the calendar within a calendar application. I commented that the calendar would probably be a useful tool, especially for me, because I need all the organizational help I can get.

In the second blog, Harnessing Social Networks in the Classroom, Ms Thumann had video with stats showing how prevalent technology is with young people today. One point made was that mobile devices (laptops, cell phones, iPods, etc) and social media are not passing fads. She also introduced me to Edmodo, described by the students in the video as sort of an educational facebook. Edmodo is used by teachers and students to place and retrieve assignments on line, in case you forget to write it down in class or miss class. I know there are variations of this type of setup because my elementary school son can get his assignments on line at Faith Academy using Edline. The best part of her post was a list of social network links that I will explore while trying to develop my PLN.

No comments:

Post a Comment